Thursday, January 3, 2019

Master Album No.2

I recently posted a Google Photo Album of pictures from Lavon's collection.  The photos are here:
https://photos.app.goo.gl/uB1pzrBMpgS97Mkb8

The inside cover reads:
J. Edward Johnson - Mamie Huish Johnson - Lavon Brockbank Johnson, their children and immediate kin. 900 Spruce St. Berkeley, California.
This Master Album No 2, being preceded by Master Album No.1.
No 2. Started Nov. 22,1936

I am struck by a few things:

  1. Where is Master Album No.1?
  2. LaVon was careful when creating this volume.  Each of the photos is labeled with a unique number, so each photo can be removed and replaced in the correct location later.  Those labels are useful for maintaining an archive.  Very forward thinking on her part.
  3. Many of the pictures have additional writing on the back.  I haven't looked at all of them, just enough to know that there is a lot of information available.
  4. There are duplicates of many of these pictures in another box that I've been going through.
It was exciting to find this album.  This is one of those treasures that you hope to find when going through old documents.  I plan to do a more careful job of scanning its contents in the future.  I'd like higher resolution images and I'd like to review the back of each photo for information.  

In the interest of time, I took photos with my camera rather than going to the trouble of scanning each photo individually.  My plan is to get stuff documented quickly and then go back later and do a much better job with a relatively small number of very interesting artifacts.  Master Album is at the top of that list.

No comments:

Post a Comment